Saturday, April 5, 2008

4 Card Shops in 4 Days

It was on my spring break this past week. I successfully avoided lesson planning, grading, and grad school all week. I got the chance to go to FOUR card shops in Wilmington, NC and Cary, NC. I didn't spend a lot of cash but here is the lowdown on the shops:

The Hobby Box (Wilmington, NC) - All hobby boxes, all the time. Chris sells hobby boxes online and to local collectors. He is known for his many Youtube box breaks and for sewing 500 game-used relics onto a T-shirt. I bought a few game-used cards and some 10-cent cards from a shelf at the front of the shop. Check him out here.
J and S Cards (Wilmington, NC) - More of your traditional hobby shop. A few sets and singles, lots of boxes - new and old, plenty of figures, and some Nascar paraphernalia. You could actually buy single packs here. I asked about Mets from the 60's and 70's. He is going to search his storeroom for me. He doesn't do online stuff - says he is too busy running the shop. I bought a few packs.
Sportzone (Cary, NC) - Big shop, few cards. The shop owner wasn't there so I don't know what is up with that. Lots of gamer stuff. Had a few boxes sorted by team. I picked up a few Mets cards for a quarter each.Cardiacs (Cary, NC) - New guy in town. He bought out another shop and is still sorting stuff. I predict he will have the best shop around. He is willing to talk sports and does it for fun. I bought a couple of boxes of 9-pocket pages. I'll be back to buy some cards later.

WOW. 4 shops in 4 days. None were exactly what I grew up with but change is OK. Cardiacs is working on having cards for set builders past and present. That is one of the things I miss about these shops. I am not a set builder anymore but if I want to own a Lou Merloni card (I need 5 if anybody has some) I want to be able to get one.

Cards are fun but they are expensive. Time to get back to the Mets collection. The lists of needs is close to being ready.

3 comments:

Chris Harris said...

The Hobby Box, great store. Have you been to J&J's in Wilson?

mmosley said...

No, I haven't. I grew up in Tarboro, which is really close to Wilson. I thought you were a Jersey/Philly guy. How do know about Wilson, NC? Ever eat at Dick's Hot Dogs?

Anonymous said...

u said dicks and hot dogs in the same sentence. huh, huh, huh, huh