Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Collectors Rally to Save Cards

There are some collectors who cringe at the thought of any cardboard god (including Mike Sharperson) going to the city dump. Well, seven bold collectors have stepped up to adopt these soon-to-be-orphaned baseball castoffs.

The first 2 packages will go out this week. gcrl and nightowl have rescued flocks of scared and frightened Dodgers.

18 Brett Butlers SAVED. (many of them are bunting.)
26 Pedro Guerreros SAVED.
25 Steve Sax SAVED. (Is Sax plural for Sax?)
14 Kirk Gibsons SAVED. (Corked Bat in '88????)

Other Dodgers merely escaped banishment to my closet where they would never been seen or heard from again.
36 Eric Karrosi UNBANISHED (Yes, Karros is like syllabus)
37 Darryl Strawberrys BANISHED, then he found Jesus, then UNBANISHED
51 Fernando Valenzuelans UNBANISHED
and 93!!!!!! Orel Hershiserz UNBANISHED
Orel has got to go to the bathroom, he's SO excited.

Phillies, Braves, Indians, White Sox, and Steve Finley will be going out soon. Any other do-gooders want to follow these brave collectors WHILE THERE'S STILL TIME?

14 comments:

Cardboard Addiction said...

Please don't hurt any Red Sox cards. I will give them a good home!

night owl said...

93 Orel Hershiser cards???? OK, you have to come out of the closet and admit YOU ARE A DODGER FAN.

mmosley said...

Hey Addict, I actually have a few cool things to send you already. I'll pile on the less cool cards too. Maybe you'll get a few Sam Horn RCs!

mmosley said...

Nightowl, I had every set from 1986-1991. Even all the little boxed sets. You can see why I purged last year. But hey, I saved the Orels. 46 are coming your way. The Mets should have won in 1988. Bulldog made me mad that year. Go Mets!

thewritersjourney said...

Got any Reds? jasontcarter at gmail.com

dayf said...

Did I ever ask to save the Braves? I honestly don't know what I'm doing anymore.

My verification word is close to my mental state: exhastra

Rod said...

Have any Padres left?

Captain Canuck said...

Ha dayf!
This time, I beat you to it!

dayf said...

Good, as long as someone got 'em...

Kevin said...

Oh, won't somebody think of the Orioles? Yes...I will. :)

madding said...

Ahh! Won't somebody please think of the Cardinals?!

I would love to save whatever Cardinals you are planning on dumping (hopefully into a recycling bin and not an actual dumpster). I do probably have about 10 each of all of the Cardinals from 1985 Topps, 1988 Topps, 1989 Topps, 1988 Donruss, 1989 Donruss, 1990 Donruss, and 1991 Donruss, so if you insist on offing some Redbirds I suppose I wouldn't report you to the authorities for making some of those disappear.

I'd like to send something worth your while back as well, but it might take me some time judging by your want lists.

Ben said...

I'll give anything left over a good home, not sure what I can give in return other than more space. If I have to pick a team, since the Braves and Orioles are gone, I'd give some Cubbies a nice home.

Judging from your icon, are you an NCSU alum? My father graduated from there in the early 70s.

my email is ben dot keever at gmail dot com

DunlopReggie said...

I collect "specials" cards of leaders, world series, recordbreakers, or any other non-single player cards. I'll pay the shipping for any that you could send to me instead of the landfill!!!!! rmrlaw@sbcglobal.net

Mad Guru said...

Ooh, ooh, ooh! May I have please have your Le Expos of Montreal cards? That would be great. Oh, and Lance Johnson if that's not being too greedy. Thank you!