Sunday, October 25, 2009

Goodwin Champions > Allen & Ginter

This one's a little late but...

The baseball card blogger's love for 2009 A&G cannot be questioned. Gint-A-Cuffs swept through the cardosphere faster than H1N1. I enjoy the Allen & Ginter. I bought a box back in 2006. I bought multiple blasters in 2007. I split a box with my big bro in 2008 and 2009. I have dedicated 1 album to a "Best Of," 1-350 multi-year set of the Ginter. I even made my mother a set of 4 custom 2008 A&G cards.
All that being said, I believe that 2009 Goodwin Champions is superior to 2009 Allen & Ginter.
Quite simply, the images used on the cards are better. This is NOT up for debate. A&G images took an upturn in 2008 with a few action shots but the Goodwin images are great. The "artsy" effect on the photos adds to the image rather than detracting from it. The backgrounds are varied and interesting. And the added insignia such as the trophies and old school logos are super fun.
A&G looks roughly the same as it did 3 years ago. We shall see if Upper Deck can improve on the 2009 edition with no logos or team unis. (Goudey was outstanding in year 2, not so much in year 3.) Yes, the Topps cardstock is better and they did it first but I'll take a mustached Ryne Sandberg at Wrigley any day.
Any unwanted Goodwins can be shipped to me. Check out my base card want list.

1 comment:

paulsrandomstuff said...

There's no doubt that Goodwin Champions had the stronger card design. But for me, Allen & Ginter wins for one reason: A&G's 350 cards to Goodwin's 210.