Blog Home of IDrawBaseballCards on Twitter @mosley_mark

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

All-Time GIANTS: Responses to Responses

I received a few responses about my first All-Time Giants team.

Matt R, the requester of Giants, offered up a few honorable mention pitchers:

"Joe McGinnity -- he was a great #2 for Mathewson."
- True. He didn't quite dominate his era enough (ERA+ = 118)

"John Antonelli -- good seasons in the mid-late 1950s." and "Sal Maglie -- didn't stay with the Giants long enough."
- I could be persuaded to replace Schmidt with one of these 2 guys, but I like having current players on these lists.

"Gary Lavelle -- if you need a lefty in the pen he's a good one to put in there.
" - Good reliever. I didn't worry about righty/lefty stuff on my rosters. Nen and Beck were better, yet right-handed.

Everyone's favorite Troll, other than Shrek, had a few ideas as well:

"Even though he only spent 5 years as a Giant, Johnny Mize would get my vote. He did have a 51 homer season there... That is hard to ignore." - Kevin Mitchell, who won an MVP in 1989, probably took his spot. If Mize had not lost 3 years to WW1, he would be on the Giants list. But don't worry, Mize will show up on a list before this thing is over.

"Wes Westrum would be a nice back up catcher too."
- Like the LHP/RHP, I just picked the best players on each team after the starting 9. Very few teams have a 2nd catcher.

"Monte Irvin!!!! Can't forget him!" - Monte Irvin didn't get to play in the bigs until he was 30. He missed a lot of good baseball due to ignorance. Larry Doyle, the last Giant bench player, won a Chalmers Award (MVP) in 1912 but they don't count in my book. MONTE IRVIN IS ON THE TEAM!!!
Troll, I owe you some free cards. Not sure if I can help with the want list, but I will see what I can do. Red Sox are next since nobody asked for their team!

2 comments:

Collective Troll said...

Wow, I am honored that you agreed with one of my pics... Thanks!

Captain Canuck said...

do you really need to ask? It should start, and end, with the Braves. Boston, milwaukee, Atlanta.
Awesome.