Blog Home of IDrawBaseballCards on Twitter @mosley_mark

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Speaking of Names...

The blog positively lit up (2 comments) with my Razor Shines post. I thought I would follow it up with a few other cool, odd, and unfortunate names.

Chico Salmon - 10 Chicos have played in the majors but only 4 Salmons! Tim Salmon won the Rookie-of-the-Year Award, finished in the top 10 in MVP-voting twice but never was an All-Star.

Scipio Spinks - the one and only Scipio and Spinks to play in the bigs. According to his Wikipedia page, he was tagged out at home to end his career.

Boots Day - Forget about Boots Day, read this homage to Boots Poffenberger.

DICK POLE - Richard has an unfortunate name, or does he? When listed in the Baseball Encyclopedia, his name is a little more telling. Anyway, Mr. Pole is currently the pitching caoch for the Cincinnati Reds.

In the Razor Shines post, Cincy Reds Cards Blogger reminded me of Rusty Kuntz. What's odd is, when I was a kid I thought his name was funny because I pronounced it "Rusty Nutz". He couldn't win for losin'!

Any other favorite names you'd like to share?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember Wonderful Monds playing in Durham.

Topping the cereal category would be Coco Crisp.

And....anyone named Asdrubal (Pronounced Ass-dribble) would have to fall under the unfortunate name category.

Unknown said...

The next post should be all about alliterative names.

--David said...

It's funny how we, as kids, pronounced players names. Duane Kuiper was always "Dwayne Kyooper" in my book.