Blog Home of IDrawBaseballCards on Twitter @mosley_mark

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bat Around: You mean, other than a Trasher of Cards

What kind of collector WAS I?
When I was younger, I was a set collector/card amasser. I collected at least 1 set per year (85 Donruss, 87 Topps, 87 Donruss, 88 Topps, 88 Donruss, 89 Topps, 90 Topps, 90 Score, 90 Donruss, 91 Topps, 91 Fleer). I bought all the the other major sets, the traded sets, the little Fleer sets from all the drug stores, and every super-glossy set that Topps made and sold through K-Mart, Woolworths, etc. Upper Deck came along and changed the game. A fifth major set? After that, the market exploded and there was 20 sets per year. I lost interest because I couldn't collect how I had in the past. I couldn't afford to buy everything. (and girls may have had something to do with the losing interest.) I kept everything. My closet was full of baseball cards. Of the sets I collected, I kept only 87 Topps and 87 Donruss. I have since collected my birth year set of 1976 Topps.What kind of collector AM I?
Today, I threaten to throw cards away! Actually, I have figured out that I don't need 100 Kal Daniels cards. I liked Kal Daniels, he was probably on a few early fantasy teams. But 1 card of his is probably enough. I had sets that had little to no meaning to me. I scoured the STATS ON THE BACK of every card and that's why I love math, but enough is enough. I love baseball and baseball cards but I needed to reduce to enjoy what I had.
NOW, I am a sampler/specific collection collector. Here are my current hobby priorities in no particular order:
  • collect 1 of every Met (Mets uniforms are preferred but any will do)
  • collect 1 of every player who has been on my simulation baseball league team. We have played for 8 seasons. (I try to get a game-used card of players that stay on my team for several years)
  • collect or buy a set if I really like it. (I collected last years UD Masterpieces and I bought the Trading Card History set this year)
  • buy random retail wax for fun (mojo or no, it's in my blood)
  • open new wax with my brother (we have split a box of 08 A&G and 08 Masterpieces)
  • collect 1 of every HOFer. (The executives are tough but I haven't really persued then yet)
  • collect every non 1 of 1 Tito Fuentes card (2 exciting additions as of late. Will post about this soon)
  • continue to reduce my collection, more cards in albums, and more card giveaways.
  • 2 blog posts per week
  • trade more (including cards I like and only have 1 of)
What can the card companies do for ME?
That's a tough one. I don't buy what I don't want and I am not a prospector. I think the card companies put out crappy products that cost too much but I have ultimate control over my collecting dollar. Give me some good-looking cards that are fun to look at and read and I'm happy. I would occasionally like to get a shiny card or one that honors Tom Seaver or particularly vintagey ones.

Thanks to the Uncensored One for the assignment. I'll give myself a C+, but I've got some great excuses!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice. I like the collecting players on your simulation team idea, thats cool.

deal said...

I am all for the Simulation team Idea too. I am sure I have all of my fantasy squads except recent rookies maybe.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!